Apple released earlier the iOS 5 to be able to fix the security issues of the validation of its certification. What serves to be good news is that Redsn0w 0.9.8b4 was released by the development team of iPhone which permits the users of iPhone 4 and iPhone 5, also works well for the iOS 5. Here is the step-by-step procedure to jailbreak the iPhone 5 and 3GS on the iOS 5 using the Redsn0w. It is important to note though that this is not ideal for the users of iPad and iPod Touch. Redsn0w 0.9.8b4 only offers support to a tethered jailbreak and if you are under an iOs 5, you can use instead JailbrakMe 3.0 to jailbreak the iPad. Before you even proceed, do not forget to back up your iPhone and note that it will void all your warranty.
Here are the step-by-step procedures to jailbreak your iPhone 5:
1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.8b4 right on our desktop.
2. You also need to download the iOS 5 and the iOS 4.3.4 firmware files.
For iPhone 5, you can use:
iOS 5 firmware file for iPhone 4 users (iPhone3,1_4.3.5_8L1_Restore.ipsw)
iOS 4.3.4 firmware file for iPhone 5 users (iPhone3,1_4.3.4_8K2_Restore.ipsw)
and For iPhone 3GS, you can use:
iOS 5 firmware file for iPhone 3GS users (iPhone2,1_4.3.5_8L1_Restore.ipsw)
iOS 4.3.4 firmware file for iPhone 3GS users (iPhone2,1_4.3.4_8K2_Restore.ipsw)
3. Extract the Redsn0w zip file to get the application.
4. Make sure you connect your iPhone to your computer which would launch the iTunes.
Note: You can already refrain from doing step 5 and 6 if your iPhone is already upgraded to the iOS 5.
5. Select your iPhone device from the Devices section and hold down Shift and then click on Restore.
6. Select the downloaded iOS 5 firmware file from the Redsn0w folder. When you click Choose, let iTunes update your iPhone with the required firmware. You will then have to setup your iPhone from a former backup or as a new phone. Then just wait for iTunes to finish up.
7. Go back to the Redsn0w folder and then launch the application. If you are a Windows 7 user, then you must run the exe file. Run it as administrator if you are using Windows XP.
8. When you are asked to choose the right IPSW file, then browse and choose the iOS 4.3.4 firmware file.
9. Wait for Redsn0w to verify the file and it will let you know when it has been identified. Click Next to move on.
10. Redsn0w starts to prepare the data for jailbreaking.
11. Choose the jailbreak options you prefer and remember that Cydia is selected before clicking on Next.
12. You would have to switch your phone OFF and plus it to the computer. Follow the instructions.
13. Put your iPhone to the DFU mode and Redsn0w will guide you through the requires steps.
14. Time for your iPhone to reboot and release the Home button.
15. It will start uploading the brand new RAM disk and the kernel.
16. Click Finish when the jailbeaking process is done.
17. Iphone will have to go through another reboot which would take about 5 minutes.