Previously, we’ve released a tutorial to jailbreak and unlock iPhones for Mac Users. Now Windows users can do the same with their iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS by following this short tutorial. Remember this is specifically suited for those running Windows.
Please ensure first that you have the iPhone OS 3.1.2 installed as well as a 05.11.07 baseband. If you have the 5.12.01 baseband or higher though, unfortunately you cannot jailbreak yet. Meanwhile if your baseband is lower than the prescribed 05.11.07, you must first restore to the 3.1.2 firmware in order to proceed. Do this by starting up iTunes, selecting your iPhone from the device list, then holding down the option key and selecting restore. After this minor change, you can now push through with the tutorial.
Keep in mind, blackra1n only supports a tethered jailbreak. This simply means once you have successfully jailbroken your device, do NOT ever let your battery die. Anticipate it and charge immediately once you notice it signalling it’s on low. When you allow your device to die, you would still need to reconnect it to the computer and specifically use blackra1n simply to reboot it.
If you have answered yes to the requirements above, then you’re good to go. But a word of caution to all: hacking your iPhone could void it of its warranty for good. So please proceed at your own risk. It is necessary to for safety and security purposes to backup your iPhone before beginning with the process. Once you’re done, we’re ready to begin.
Easy Guide to Jailbreak:
- Visit the blackra1n website, http://www.blackra1n.com, using any web browser of your choice. Then select the Windows logo located at the bottom of the screen.
- When a prompt appears, download and save blackra1n.exe to your device. Then double click the executable file from where you saved it to launch the program.
- From here on, your iPhone or Ipod needs to be connected to the PC.
- You are now officially ready to start the jailbreak process. Proceed by selecting the “Make it ra1n” button.
- After this, you would notice that your iPhone is now in recovery mode. Instead of the recovery mode screen, the display features a picture of Geohot. Then you’re iPhone would reboot.
Jailbreaking has now been completed. You will notice a popup message informing you that blackra1n is free software and you can donate to Geohot at email@example.com if you appreciate the software. Select ok to finish the process.
At this point, you’d see the blackra1n icon on the springboard of your iPhone. You can proceed further to unlock your device thereafter following these simple steps:
- Ensure you have an internet connection first. Then launch the application by selecting the blackra1n icon.
- Choose the installer application of your choice then select snow if you wish to unlock your device. Press install located at the top right of the screen if you want to proceed.
- Blackra1n will now begin to download and install the packages you selected.
- When completed, you would see a post install log for sn0w. CommCenter would automatically be restarted. But if your carrier does not support 3G, simply disable it. Then select the close button to continue.
- Blackra1n would now respring your iPhone. Now you can find the installer package right at your springboard.
- Once the package is confirmed to be working properly, you can now choose to uninstall blackra1n by selecting the “uninstall blackra1n” button inside the application. By doing this, you are opting to remove blackra1n from your springboard.
Congratulations! You have successfully jailbreak and unlocked your iPhone easily by yourself.