The iPhone Dev team released earlier this week the highly anticipated Spirit untethered jailbreak solution by Comex. This program helps jailbreak iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. In order to facilitate easy jailbreaking, here is a tutorial providing a step-by-step guide for Mac users.
It is important to note first the possible consequences before engaging in the procedure. Keep in mind that jailbreaking can void the warranty of your device. Aside from this, once jailbroken, these gadgets are very prone and vulnerable to malicious attacks. Thus it is advisable to have a backup of the memory for future use. Once the process is completed, never forget to change the root password of your Apple device.
In order to work properly, the following requirements must be met: iPhone or iPod touch on iPhone OS 3.1.2 and 3.1.3. When you’re using the older versions, it is crucial to update your device to iPhone OS 3.1.3. This jailbreak is compatible with all iPhones currently present even the latest iPhone 3GS models with updated Boot ROM. You must also have an activated device. If the screen is stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call, then it is not activated. Also you must also have the iTunes 9 or above installed.
Once you’ve met all the requirements mentioned above and you’ve taken all the necessary precautions, then it is now safe to proceed with the step-by-step instructions to jailbreak your iPhone and iPod Touch.
- Download the latest version of Spirit Jailbreak software to your Mac desktop.
- Launch the Spirit.app.zip file and extract it to your desktop.
- Double click and launch the extracted Spirit application.
- Connect your iPhone or ipod Touch to the computer once the prompt appears. Proceed by clicking on the “Jailbreak” button.
- The jailbreaking process has now begun. Once completed, the window will display the message “Jailbreak Complete!”
- Select the “Quit” button to close the application.
- The device would now reboot and display the progress bar.
- After the process is completed, your iPhone or iPod Touch is now successfully jailbroken. You would also find Cydia installed on your device.
After jailbreaking, there are some users who report having issues with their Wi-Fi or network connectivity. To resolve this matter, you must work on trying to reset the network settings. To do this choose “Launch Settings”, select “General”, then “Reset”, and finally tap on “Reset Network Settings”.